Friday, March 1, 2013

Wedding Weight Loss

Weight loss or gain is something it seems everyone is struggling with or has struggled with.  I was a size 3 in juniors sizes when I started high school.  I was up to a size 7 by the time I graduated.  That was almost 10 years ago.  I realize that part of that was a high metabolism, the fact that puberty hadn't finished with me yet, and that I was in cross country as a freshman and would have been as a sophomore if I hadn't broken my ankle at the end of summer.

My point, is that when I was a 3, or a 5, or even an 8, I thought I was fat.  I needed to lose weight.  Get rid of my belly, have more defined legs, tone the arms, etc.  I didn't have this problem when I was in what would have been middle school if it hadn't been a K-8.  Not sure when I started thinking this way, but it must have been in high school sometime.  I look back on this and wish I could have talked to my 13, 14, 16 year old self.  Let her know that she was beautiful, in shape, and not to worry about it.

This past year, I was at the heaviest I have ever been, topping out around 187.  This is not healthy for a 5'6" person.  I hate that I have to wear shorts of some variety underneath my dresses and skirts because my thighs hurt when they rub together.  I hate that I get winded after I run a block.  I hate that I have to buy new clothes because my cute old ones don't fit anymore.  I hate how easily I get a double chin.  I don't hate myself, in fact I'd say I have higher self esteem now than in high school, but I am not happy with where I am physically.

Because of all this, I joined Planet Fitness back in October.  Also, for Lent I gave up meat and sugar.  I am also not eating out.  No drinks except for milk and water.  No candy (I miss my skittles so much.....)  No sugar cereal (The Captain and Golden Grahams are patiently waiting for me.)  All of this has helped.  It's helped so much that I tried on a pair of jeans today.  These jeans I bought new last winter.  This past September they didn't fit anymore.  I tried these jeans on today and they fit.  In fact, they are even loose!  I'm getting married in June and my goal was to get down to a size 8 so I didn't have to alter the dress except for hemming.  One more size to go!  This is a great start to my weekend and  continuing what I have started.

I realize this is not a "typical" post to start a blog.  Especially a blog that won't be focused on weight loss or gain.  But I was very excited about my jeans today.  I wanted to write something meaningful, even if it's a bit serious.  :)

Kyle, my fiance, is in class so I have time to watch one more episode of The West Wing (my current addiction) on Netflix before he's out.  Happy weekend!!!!


~M

2 comments:

  1. I like you attitude about this! You have plenty of time to lose that weight if you want to do that, but the longer you wait the more difficult it gets. Drink lots of water and that will help considerably. When I was losing, I found drinking a large glass of water (12 ounces) before I ate anything was very helpful in controlling portions. I also eventually learned that I don't need to eat a lot. It takes a long time for my brain to catch up to my stomach. In other words, I had enough long before I was feeling full and by the time I would stop I would feel uncomfortable after 15-20 minutes. I'm still working on fixing that one. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uncle Greg! The water advice is a great one! I've been carrying around a water bottle with me, but am just not in the habit of drinking often throughout the day. I'll definitely give that a try and see how that works. :)

      Delete

Feel free to let us know your thoughts!