Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Book Review: Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines

It's been about 3 months since I graduated with my Master's degree.  Since then, I have thoroughly enjoyed the extra time I have to watch tv shows on Netflix and read print books for fun- not school.  I'm not sure what is wrong with my choices lately, but this book was another dud.  Perhaps I'm just not cut out for the adult Fantasy section.

Premise: (from Infosoup) Gifted with the ability to draw objects out of books, Isaac Vainio, A Libriomancer, seeks assistance from a Harley-riding dryad after a number of vampire attacks are reported by other members of his secret, magic organization.

The front flap of the book that gave a description enticed me more than the above would have.  I was drawn in by by the title of the book.  Any character that has a love for books in a book I read, should be someone I root for, enjoy reading about, and would have a bond with. I knew the book may be a bit of a stretch for me.  I don't often read books from the Science Fiction/Fantasy section.  But perhaps I would enjoy this one.  He does work in a library after all, and how cool would it be if we could pull objects out of books?!

Unfortunately, this one was not the case.

I didn't have as terrible of a time finishing this book as I did Storm Front, but it was still a struggle.  And some of the same claims apply.  The author for this book did a better job describing background, the way those who possess magic are organized, and explaining why something was happening.  However, I wanted some of that earlier.  Not explained after the fact.  I get frustrated when I read and something is confusing.  I should be in the moment.  On the edge of my seat (literally sometimes) wanting to know what will happen next.  It just didn't happen and there were plenty of moments when I could have had that reaction and just was not involved.

This was the first book in a series so I was really hopeful for that reason too!

Hello.  My name is M.  And I'm a serial series addict.

The next time a Fantasy book looks interesting I'm going to get it in audio book format to see if that makes a difference.  Hopefully it will!

Consensus: 2 out of 5 stars

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know your thoughts!