Wednesday, May 1, 2013

This Is What I Get For Watching The Movie Before Reading The Book



This movie is wonderful.  Yes, it's a bit silly.  Campy.  It doesn't take itself too seriously.  But it's fun.  Enjoyable.  And it has Chris O'Donnell.  He's a beautiful man.

I just finished reading the book this morning.

I'm sad.  I'm mad.  Frustrated. Irritated. 

RUINED!!!!

And what makes it even more frustrating, is that I'm not in love with the book!

Also, the movie was made in 1993.  It's 20 years old.  This ages me greatly.

Premise of the book:  D'Artagnan has come to Paris to join the Musketeers.  He meets three best friends, Porthos, Aramis, and Athos,  and these men form a bond with this young hooligan.  They are devoted to the King (Royalists) and are against the Cardinal and his servant Milady.  D'Artagnan falls in love, unexpectedly learns of a dark secret of one of his new friends, and needs to save Lord Buckingham in England.

This movie has kept the same characters, some of their life stories, and the remotest plot-line the same.

That. Is. All.

Excluding the movie, the book was ok on its own.  Alexandre Dumas, the author of the book, had an intricate plot.  Something I enjoy on occasion.  His dialogue was a little too involved at times.  I don't need to hear every little thing these characters could possibly say.  He did have good turns of phrase several times though.  And the way he wove the story made up for some of the dialogue.

I am just unable to get past this movie I so enjoy being based on this book.  It's an injustice to the book.

And so I will heed my cousin Sam's advice.  She loves this movie also and when I texted her about how upset I was she said, "Oh no!  Ok I won't read it!  But don't worry.  The movie is always what really happened.  Movies don't lie!"

Consensus: 2 out of 5 stars

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know your thoughts!