Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Steifvater

Finally!  I have found a new series to follow.  And best of all, the first book only came out this past November!  It's been a VERY long time since I read a series and it was almost finished or completed already.

The audiobook was well-done, so if you like that format or are looking for something in that format, I highly suggest this title.  The actor did a particularly great job with the voices of Blue's aunts and the boys she meets.

Premise from the official website
"Blue Sargent, the daughter of the town psychic in Henrietta, Virginia, has been told for as long as she can remember that if she ever kisses her true love, he will die. But she is too practical to believe in things like true love. Her policy is to stay away from the rich boys at the prestigious Aglionby Academy. The boys there — known as Raven Boys — can only mean trouble."
That description doesn't do the book justice, though.  There's so much more to it than that.  There's an ancient quest to find the burial place of Owain Glendower, a medieval Welch noble, who, legend has it, is not dead and has been sleeping for centuries.  He's been put to sleep and whoever wakes him up will be granted a wish.  There's a murder to be solved. 

There are many reasons why I enjoyed this book.  First, and foremost, it doesn't involve vampires!  I enjoyed the Twilight series before they were made into movies.  But vampire books aren't usually what I enjoy.  The two fantasy books I read recently that involved a lot of supernatural were not enjoyable for me.  For those reviews, see here and here.  The supernatural is very popular in young adult literature these days so I'm being particularly picky about what I read from there lately.  However, the amazing teen librarian, Gillian, at my library suggested I read this one.

Yes, I don't like the supernatural too much, but I have always enjoyed books that have ghosts or ghostly elements in them, whether it be true life or fiction.  I've also always been intrigued by psychics and this book has both of those elements. 

I love Blue.  She's a down to earth and real.  She calls it like she sees it- which is something I should really do more often.  She's a bit of a loner and doesn't have a lot of friends- something I can identify with.  Her family is a bit...special.  Mine is too, but not nearly in the same way.

Sometimes when reading an audiobook, and even with a print book on occasion, I get the characters confused. Sometimes it's that they're all from the same part of the country so the actor has a more difficult time distinguishing them with his or her voice.  Sometimes it's that the character hasn't been developed enough for them to stand on their own.  This was not a problem with The Raven Boys.  The characters were all fully developed. Even the minor ones that don't have as much page time stand out on their own.

If you like young adult books, or are willing to give them a try, enjoy mystery and a bit of drama and suspense, give The Raven Boys a try. 

Consensus:  5 out of 5 stars

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know your thoughts!