Sunday, April 7, 2013

Milwaukee Weekend Extravaganza

Several weeks ago, Kyle and I took a weekend and went to Milwaukee for his yearly convention: Midwest Gaming Classic.  This convention has, in all honesty, outgrown it's location.  It's been held each year at the Sheraton Milwaukee Brookfield Hotel.  I have never gone before, but the main hall was completely filled, most of the hallway surrounding that main area, and a number of hotel rooms and business rooms were filled with exhibitors as well.  Kyle always meets up with his Ben Heckendorn groupies and they do soldering and discuss video games.  There were a HUGE number of pinball machines available for everyone to use as well as all sorts of video game paraphernalia available.  After being there that weekend, I came to the conclusion that I was not missing anything by staying home.  It's just not what I enjoy.

But I did have a SUPER delicious breakfast one day.  We went out to The Original Pancake House.

(please excuse my thumb!)

The Original Pancake House is also shown in the picture.  It's in an actual house and you enter from a ramp in the back of the house.  I didn't even think of doing a blog post on this until it was too late, so I don't have too many other pictures, not even one of my delicious food.  Kyle says that their pancakes were superb.  I didn't even make it to the pancakes.  I got a small stack of pancakes as well as 2 scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, mushrooms, and onions.  It was Friday and during Lent on top of that (although we do attempt to do meatless Fridays year round) so I didn't get any sausage in mine, although I wanted to!

The eggs were SO good.  And it was so much food!  I got eggs, pancakes, toast, and I was only able to finish the toast and half the eggs.  I also loved their take home containers!

(These leftovers are all mine.  Kyle finished his meal.  I felt slightly foolish, but only slightly!)

If you are ever in the Brookfield area and are looking for good food, especially breakfast, this is the place to go.  I also found their sign where you come in as well as pay on the way out to be amusing.  I've very rarely been to a restaurant for more than an hour.  Who does that!?


We also made it to the movies that weekend.  We saw Warm Bodies.  It was as good as others have stated it was.  It didn't take itself too seriously and was much funnier than I anticipated.  Yes, it was a bit campy, but it had its moments.  Kyle and I both enjoyed it much more than we expected to.  Our favorite movie theater critic does a great job describing the movie:  http://wafflemovies.com/warmbodies.html.

Another new post coming soon.  I just finished reading The Great Gatsby in honor of the new version of the movie coming out soon.  I can't see the movie without reading the book!

~M

2 comments:

  1. OPH (what regulars call original Pancake House) IS delicious. It is a chain all across the U.S. There are at least two locations here in Madison. Their pancakes are awesome, as are their omelets. And their crepes. I just wish they were open for dinner. Here in Madison, there can be a long wait on the weekends to get in there. And there are a lot of people on weekends who will relax and visit with family and/or friends over coffee for quite a while. I admit, I glare at them when they do that. I need my pancakes, dang it!!! Love you! - Lu

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a CHAIN?!?! We'll be more diligent about seeking them out from now on then. Such delicious food. Of course you need your pancakes! Life is never so good as when you are eating a delicious fluffy pancake.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let us know your thoughts!